Wednesday 9 August 2017

9 August: Philip Larkin

The poet Philip Larkin was born on August 9 1922. Here are ten quotes from him including the famous one with a rude word in it. So if you don't like swearing, don't read quote number 10!


  1. Life has a practice of living you, if you don't live it.
  2. Children are bound to be inferior to adults, or there is no incentive to grow up.
  3. I have no enemies. But my friends don't like me.
  4. How little our careers express what lies in us, and yet how much time they take up. It's sad, really.
  5. I feel the only thing you can do about life is to preserve it, by art if you're an artist, by children if you're not.
  6. As a child, I thought I hated everybody, but when I grew up I realized it was just children I didn't like.
  7. What will survive of us is love.
  8. To write you must be warm, fed, loved and sober.
  9. We should be careful / Of each other, we should be kind / While there is still time.
  10. They fuck you up, your mum and dad. They may not mean to, but they do. They fill you with the faults they had And add some extra, just for you.





Browse other topics I've covered in this blog - HERE.

Like my Facebook page for news of Topical Ten posts posts on my writing blog, a weekly writing quote and news of upcoming publications

No comments:

Post a Comment