Thursday 30 March 2017

March 30th: Anna Sewell

Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty, was born on this date in 1820. Here are some quotes from her:


  1. I am never afraid of what I know.
  2. We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words.
  3. My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.
  4. If you in the morning Throw minutes away, You can't pick them up In the course of a day. You may hurry and scurry, And flurry and worry, You've lost them forever, Forever and aye.
  5. It is good people who make good places.
  6. Give me the handling of a horse for twenty minutes, and I'll tell you what sort of a groom he has had.
  7. If a thing is right it can be done, and if it is wrong it can be done without; and a good man will find a way.
  8. Good Luck is rather particular who she rides with, and mostly prefers those who have got common sense and a good heart; at least that is my experience.
  9. We shall all have to be judged according to our works, whether they be towards man or towards beast.
  10. Do your best wherever it is, and keep up your good name.

Browse other topics I've covered in this blog - HERE.

Like my Facebook page for news of Topical Ten posts posts on my writing blog, a weekly writing quote and news of upcoming publications

No comments:

Post a Comment