Thursday 2 July 2015

2nd July: National Literacy Day

For National Literacy day, ten quotes about the joys of reading.

  1. When I was ten I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am 50, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be grown up. CS Lewis
  2. The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them. Mark Twain
  3. Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. Joseph Addison
  4. The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading. David Bailey
  5. The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries. Rene Descartes
  6. He that loves reading has everything within his reach. William Godwin
  7. Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. P.J. O’Rourke
  8. If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. Haruki Murakami
  9. It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it. Oscar Wilde
  10. A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading. William Styron

My Books

If these quotes have got you thinking that you should read something, here are some suggestions! As well as this blog, I also write fiction and have published two novels (Death and Faxes and Glastonbury Swan) and a collection of short stories (Jigsaw). If you like ghost stories, crime stories, a bit of romance and anything slightly bizarre you might enjoy them. 

Further details on my books page

See how I write fiction on my writing blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment