Wednesday 13 May 2015

13th May: Daphne du Maurier

The writer Daphne du Maurier was born this date in 1907. Here are some quotes by her:

  1. Women want love to be a novel, men a short story.
  2. Writers should be read, but neither seen nor heard.
  3. When one is writing a novel in the first person, one must be that person.
  4. Luxury has never appealed to me, I like simple things, books, being alone, or with somebody who understands.
  5. We all of us have our particular devil who rides us and torments us, and we must give battle in the end.
  6. There is no going back in life, no return, no second chance. I cannot call back the spoken word or the accomplished deed.
  7. We've got a bond in common, you and I. We are both alone in the world.
  8. And he went on eating his marmalade as though everything were natural.
  9. I thought how little we know about the feelings of old people.
  10. You had to endure something yourself before it touched you.

No comments:

Post a Comment